Monday, May 17, 2010

Review #113: Crooked Teeth - Demo (EP) (2010)


CROOKED TEETH DEMO

Year: 2010
Genre: Punk Rock
Sub-Genres:
Hardcore
Label: Sweet Dreams Records

Tracks:
6
Length:
7 Minutes (Very Short)
Style:
Angry
My Rating:
6/8

Crooked Teeth are a new hardcore punk band from Richmond, Virginia, home of some other bands like Government Warning. The band is unique from a lot of other hardcore bands in the fact that the lead singer is a girl -- she sounds a lot like Kathleen Hannah from Bikini Kill! The music here is a lot faster than Bikini Kill's, though. This is their first demo tape ever, which the band was kind enough to give me the link to, and quite frankly, it kicks testes! The songs are great, the music is urgent and furious, the vocals are a nice change of pace from the scream/bark that every other band seems to use nowadays. C'mon guys, I know you're really angry, but couldn't at least SOME of you guys sing with a melody? Ericka yells too, but at least her voice actually sounds different. By the way, the band's lineup is Ericka (vox), Patrick (guitar), Chris (bass), Hash (drums), and Charlie, who plays the SKIN FLUTE. The band is currently signed to Sweet Dreams Records, and a cassette tape of this demo can be purchased by mail for $4.

1. Synapse
Starts kinda fast and then gets really fast. There's a weird solo in the middle of the song. The lyrics are pretty dark and seem to describe feeling like an outcast or something. I actually have no idea BECUZ IM JUSH A BIG DUMBY DUM HEAD! HAA HAA HAH!!!

2. Poison
Once again, chock-ful of fury! The riff is awesome, the beat is awesome, it's awesome awesome awesome. Another solo after the first chorus. Ericka's voice is fuckin' awesome! Once again, I seriously have no idea what any of these songs are about. At least the music makes up for that part.

3. Crooked Teeth
It's like... the... THEME SONG!! Not quite as fast as the two before it, but it's still awesome-o. I like the transition of chords used from the verse to the chorus. It just works, y'know? Yeah, there's another guitar solo.

4. Duke Nukem 64
My favorite song here. However, it doesn't really have anything to do with a video game. I actually used to play the first two Duke Nukem games for computer a fucking lot. Still do every now and then. Well, this song's lyrics seem to be about rape or at least the feeling of being used up or something like that. It's the shortest song on the tape, but it's the best, in my opinion.

5. Yellow
Maybe this song's supposed to be about jaundice or being disabled or being a disabled person with jaundice. See, I could even swear she was yelling "JAUNDICE!" in one part of the song!

6. Double Monster
Starts with just drums, bass, and guitar noize. Then the first verse begins. The song's about being depressed n' sad n' shit laike that. For some reason, whenever I read the title, I wanna think of Cookie Monster. And hey, Cookie Monster's BLUE also. YEAH!!!!!! This iz the longest song. fgfdgdhggfhfghggf

As you can see here, today, I was having a serious mind-block. Sometimes, kidz, I just dunno what to write. The weather's been makin' me down for the las' cup' a-days, so I gots ta be strawng, kiddeyz. Gots ta fight tha good fight, y'know? Well, I'm guessing that if you liked everything else I've reviewed so far then you should PROOOOBABLY like this. You can download these songs all for free on the band's Last.FM profile. ENJOY DA MUSIC, KIDZ.

Top 3 Favorites:
1. Duke Nukem 64
2. Crooked Teeth
3. Poison



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers